Wednesday 4 December 2013

Maida Murukku by Vimitha Anand (My Culinary Trial Room)

The celebration is still on with another guest post by my dearest friend Vimitha Anand of  My Culinary Trial Room, she don't need any introduction further as I'm sure all of you know who is she, she comes up with very innovative and creative recipes every time you check her blog. For those who have not visited, don't waste any time, go now na....Vimi thank you for your time doing a guest post for me. Now off to her;


When Arthy of Sumanarthy's kitchen asked me to do a guest post for her in the month of November, I was first hesitant to accept it. Seriously, I just can't find the time to even blog these days and a guest post was totally out of question. But when she gave the theme as Diwali recipes, I thought that I could squeeze in a guest post sometime. After all, I had decided to make quite a few Diwali sweets and snacks and I just had to pick one for her.


I am a sucker for traditional South Indian snack items. And by sucker I mean not in eating it but to make it. The first time I tried Omapodi at home, it drank so much oil that I had to bin it. The second time I tried seedai and most of you know what happened. And to those who are new, it burst right out spluttering my entire kitchen with oil and it took me 2 hours to clean up the mess. And thus come everything to an end. The huss, the brother, and the whole family asked me to stop venturing out of my league. And so have I. Until Diwali came and I started browsing for some easy recipes. The huss was so adamant that I make the muruku under his vigilance. Grrrrr... As for the recipe, I saw this one in a TV cookery show. Its an easy and go-to recipe for beginners like me...



~*What U Need*~ Unbleached all purpose flour - 1 cup Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp Sesame seeds - 1/2 tbsp Ghee - 1 tsp Salt - to taste Warm water - to knead dough Oil - to deep fry How I Made it: Place the maida in a clean cloth and steam for 10 mins. Once done, remove and when it is warm, crumble it with your hand. Once it is completely cool, sieve it and collect the flour. If you want you can run it in the food processor or mixie once.
In a mixing bowl, add maida, ghee, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, required salt and mix it once. Then add hot water little by little and combine to form a dough. Then divide them equal portions and set aside. Put each ball into the murukku press. Heat oil in a kadai and when hot drop murukkus (you could either pipe it directly into the hot oil or pipe murukku on a greased plastic cover and drop it carefully into the oil. I piped it directly into the oil. Cook on both side till golden brown, remove and drain in kitchen towl. Crush into bite sized pieces and store in an airtight container. Always fry the murukku in medium low flame.


Serve with tea!!!




So that's it Folks... 

 With Love, Signs off!!!

7 comments:

  1. looks so perfect.. Crispy murukku. Never tried with Maida before.. must try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super delicious murukku..simply loving it.
    Visit my new blog when you get time Arthy

    ReplyDelete
  3. splendid recipe.. Perfect post! Hats off to both.. I'm here for the first time.. Nice space Arthy.. Glad to follow you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post both of you. First time here. Very happy to follow you. Do visit my space if you find time.

    On-going event: South Indian cooking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx for posting such a nice food recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look so tasty and delicious.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe and info

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much fellow friends for commenting, your comments will help me to improve my blog and share more special recipes that I have tried with you. Do drop by often, yummy recipes waiting!

Arthy Suman